Team Sask- BMX
Team Sask- BMX
2023 SASKATCHEWAN PROVINCIAL TEAM
The BMX Provincial Team provides development opportunities to racers in the Train to Compete and Learn to Win stages of the Long-Term Athlete Development model. The purpose of the BMX Provincial Team is to give an opportunity and funding to Saskatchewan athletes who wish to experience larger races, experience training and improve their performance.
For the 2023 season the BMX provincial team will focus on opportunities for riders to gain experience and improve their skills. It is with this in mind that there are some significant changes to the program.
Anyone who is applying for Team Saskatchewan should be prepared to:
- Travel to camps and races throughout the year
- Work with the BMX Provincial Team coach
- Show a commitment to BMX
The team for 2023 will consist of 6 challenge aged racers and Junior racers, with the possibility of increasing or decreasing the number on a per project basis at the discretion of the SCA and SCA Performance Cycling Committee.
- Riders must be expert in level in 2022 (13 years excepted)
- Age groups considered for the team are, 14, 15 and 16+ years of age as of December 31, 2023
- Each rider will receive a Team jersey supplied by the Saskatchewan Cycling Association with the option to purchase an additional one.
- The final schedule of projects will be outlined at the team meeting in early 2023. The focus in 2023 will be on skill development and camps.
- Olds indoor camp at February Reading Week and Easter Break
- National Championships
- Canada Cup races
- Ongoing Sport Services access for nutrition, sport psychology, training by professional qualified individuals
- Athletes who choose not to participate in a project(s), without a valid medical reason, may be removed from the team. Depending on the time of year, an alternate athlete may be named.
All athletes named to the team will be required to pay $550 Performance Cycling Program fee for the year.
Each travel project will have a project fee.
A maximum cost will be communicated to athletes prior to the project.
- All athletes interested in gaining a position on the team must apply by submitting a race resume.
- To be eligible for selection, athletes must hold a valid Saskatchewan UCI License
- Athletes selected as candidates are required to sign the Team Saskatchewan Athlete Agreement.
- Selected athletes are responsible to contributing a portion of the costs.
- Team members are required to participate in the Saskatchewan Provincial Cup Series age appropriate category and junior devo (where age appropriate) and are expected to attend the Saskatchewan Provincial Championships. Exceptions due to extenuating circumstances may be granted at the discretion of Team Management.
- Team members must wear the Provincial Team uniform when competing for Team Saskatchewan at all identified team projects.
- Athletes may be selected for doping control at any sanctioned event. It is the athlete’s responsibility to become familiar with doping control procedures and the list of restricted and banned substances. Athletes should consult the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (http://www.cces.ca) for information on restricted substances, therapeutic exemptions, and other doping control matters.
- Only athletes who travel and racing as part of Team Saskatchewan will receive funding from the SCA, unless the SCA office approves otherwise.
- Athletes must be willing to work with and take direction from the Provincial Team coach(es).
- All outstanding invoices must be paid prior to being considered for the Provincial Team
Selection to the team will be based on points (see below for a breakdown), skills and coachability. Skill and coachability will be graded by the PT coach.
Athletes will receive a combined point score from each of the following events:
- Saskatchewan Provincial Championships (this event will serve as the tie breaker, if needed)
- Saskatchewan Cup Series (Final ranking/Expert Category)
- National Championships
The 6 Qualified riders with the highest number of total points will make the Provincial Team.
Points will be earned based on the sum of the final rank in the Saskatchewan Cup Provincial Series, Saskatchewan Provincial Championships, and the National Championships. In addition, athletes can also earn bonus points by competing in any of the following events:
- CM: UCI BMX World Championships (above points x5)
- CDM: UCI BMX World Cup Supercross (above points x4)
- CC: UCI BMX Continental Championships (above points x3)
- C1: Category 1 UCI Race (above points x2)
- National Championships (above points x2)
Other considerations for selection will be:
- Commitment to the Saskatchewan Cycling BMX Provincial Team program
- Selection to Team Canada projects
Selections will be made by the Performance Cycling Program committee with input from the Provincial Team coach.
All Athletes requesting a team selection must submit a written request letter and resume of race results for the 2022 (at minimum) season to the Saskatchewan Cycling Association. Applications for the 2023 season will be accepted until November 30th, 2022, Late applications will not be accepted, no exceptions. Team coaches and management may extend the deadline to the 2023 team at their discretion. Applications can be emailed to email@example.com